Get advice about the law and mental health
Published on 28 September 2020
We advise and represent mental health professionals employed by NHS health boards when dealing with legal matters related to mental health.
Our solicitors have specialist knowledge in this complicated area of the law. We’re able to give helpful and practical input based on our extensive experience of legal issues relating to patients’ mental health.
What mental health law support can our solicitors provide?
- Advice in relation to the powers under the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003. Particularly, this is with regard to the detention of patients.
- Representation of health boards and their employees at Mental Health Tribunals.
- Liaising with solicitors for patients, councils, the Scottish Government and the Mental Health Tribunal for Scotland.
- Advice on the application of the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000.
- Legal advice on the treatment of patients who may lack capacity to consent.
Get in touch
If your health board needs advice about a matter related to a patient’s mental health and wants to speak to someone, please get in touch. We'll connect you with the Litigation team that deals with the health board involved.
Telephone: 0131 2757800