Samples for red cell investigations (RCI)
Unless otherwise stated all RCI is on ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) samples.
- Adult and paediatric samples are 4.5-6ml EDTA.
- Neonatal samples (up to 1 year or up to 10kg) are 1.5m.
Samples must be accurately labelled by hand at the patient’s side from the wristband (if available) or request form in outpatients.
You'll need to provide some minimum information on the label:
- First name (correct spelling)
- Last name (correct spelling)
- Date of birth
- Community Health Index (CHI) number (or equivalent unique identification number)
To ensure the patient is correctly identified, the sample must be dated, timed and signed by the person taking the sample.
Requests for testing
You must provide a blood transfusion request form with all test requests. The form must be completed accurately and in full.
We don't currently offer electronic ordering for blood transfusion in our labs.
If the request form does not have exactly the same details as the sample tube, the sample will be rejected.