The Continuing Education and Training (CET) allowance is paid in respect of any training undertaken in the previous calendar year.
View PCA(O)(2021)9 for full details.
To make your claim, please complete the digital application form and use your eOphthalmic Personal Identification Number (PIN) to submit it. A separate claim must be made for each eligible person, and must be received by us by Sunday 31 October 2021. This information will be transferred and stored securely and only used for this application.
If you do not have a PIN please complete the PIN request form and send it to the following email address.
If you are claiming as an Independent Prescriber Optometrist, please enter your Independent Prescriber Code at part 12 of the claim form. You will find this code on your prescription pad.
If an applicant does not meet the criteria (or appears based on the information available not to meet the criteria) an automatic email will be sent to advise them. Please check the submission against the criteria, amend any errors in the form and resubmit it.
If you meet the criteria and cannot find any discrepancies in the claim form but still receive an email advising this is not the case please send an email to the following address for advice on how to proceed.
Who can apply?
There are two categories of professionals who can apply.
Optometrists and ophthalmic medical practitioners
The allowance of £590 is payable to optometrists (other than corporate bodies carrying on the business of optometrists) and ophthalmic medical practitioners (OMP) who:
- have been included on an NHS board’s ophthalmic list for at least six months during the year of the claim
- have maintained their professional registration both with the General Optical Council for optometrists, and with the General Medical Council for OMPs
- have undertaken appropriate CET during the relevant year
- have had medical and optical activity as their only remunerated practices within the conduct of general ophthalmic services during the relevant year
Optometrist independent prescribers
The allowance of £884 for Independent Prescribers Continuing Education and Training (IPCET) is payable to optometrist independent prescribers who:
- were registered as an independent prescriber during 2020
- were included on the Ophthalmic List of an NHS Board and registered with a host Board as an independent prescriber for at least six months during 2020
- have maintained their professional registration with the General Optical Council and have been registered as an optometrist independent prescriber
- have undertaken appropriate IPCET in 2020 (in the period 1 January 2020 to 31 December 2020 inclusive)
The independent prescribing code should be noted at part 12 of the claim form and will be checked by Practitioner Services prior to payment. You will find this code on your prescription pad.
If your name is included in the ophthalmic list of more than one board, you should make the claim in respect of the NHS board for whom you provide the greatest proportion of general ophthalmic services.
Only one CET allowance or IPCET allowance will be paid in respect of any one person for appropriate CET or IPCET undertaken by that person during the relevant year to which the claim relates.
If you have any queries regarding claiming for the CET allowance please contact us using the following email address.