The NHS Pharmacy First Scotland service allows patients to use a community pharmacy as the first port of call for treatment.
Who is eligible for NHS Pharmacy First Scotland?
Eligibility for the Pharmacy First Scotland service is reserved for those who fit the following criteria:
- under 16 years of age
- under 19 years of age and in full-time education
- 60 years of age or over
- those who have a valid maternity exemption certificate, medical exemption certificate, or war pension exemption certificate
- those who get Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, and their family members
- those who receive Universal Credit, subject to certain income thresholds, and their family members
- those who receive support because they are asylum-seekers, and their family members
- those who are named on, or are entitled to, an NHS tax credit exemption certificate or a valid HC2 certificate
- those who are registered with a Scottish GP
- those who are patients in care homes (nursing and residential).
- residents of Scotland.
Who isn't eligible for NHS Pharmacy First Scotland?
Those who aren't eligible include:
- individuals who aren’t included in the list above
- temporary residents of Scotland.
A check on the patient’s eligibility for NHS Pharmacy First Scotland service is required with the community pharmacy of their choice.
Providing the NHS Pharmacy First Scotland service
Once the eligibility of the patient has been confirmed a consultation can be provided which may either be advice, referral to GP or treatment.
Resources have been developed to support Community Pharmacy in the delivery of care for conditions covered by NHS Pharmacy First Scotland.
The resource below identifies the allowed treatment items for conditions covered by NHS Pharmacy First Scotland.
Once you have confirmed a patient as eligible for the NHS Pharmacy First Scotland service, you are required to fill out this consultation form.
GP Practice guidance
The following resource supports GP Practice in signposting patient to NHS Pharmacy First Scotland service.
The following resources support care for Impetigo.
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
The following resources support care for UTI.
- Assessment form - Urinary Tract Infection
- GP notification - Urinary Tract Infection
- PGD – Nitrofurantoin
- Access the PGD – Trimethoprim
The following resources support care for Shingles.
The following resources support care for Skin Infections.