Skip to main content

beta This is a new site, your feedback will help us to improve it.

Hydatidiform mole

Published on 21 April 2022

The hydatidiform mole service provides diagnosis and follow-up support for women with a molar pregnancy. This occurs when abnormal cells grow inside the womb rather than a baby. The service is hosted by NHS Tayside and located within the Department of Genetics, Ninewells Hospital Dundee.

What support does the hydatidiform mole service provide?

If women in Scotland are suspected of having a hydatidiform molar pregnancy, samples are sent to the Hydatidiform Mole Follow-Up Service for expert opinion and diagnosis. If confirmed, these women are offered enrolment in the laboratory follow-up programme, which monitors urinary and serum hCG concentration at regular timely periods, using a specialised test. This programme will ensure the presence of persistent trophoblastic disease (PTD), or the development of choriocarcinoma, can be detected at an early stage. PTD happens when some molar tissue is left behind following treatment, while choriocarcinoma is a uterine cancer.

For those women with persistent or malignant disease, treatment with chemotherapy is undertaken at Charing Cross Hospital, London. The Dundee team coordinates this care and provides ongoing follow-up support.

Lead clinician

Dr Refaat Youssef, Consultant, NHS Tayside

Dr Lesley McMahon, Principle Clinical Scientist, NHS Tayside


Hydatidiform Mole Follow-Up Service
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School,
Ward 37/38

Hydatidiform Mole Follow-Up Service Laboratory
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School,
Level 7 (L7066)

Referral process

Consultant pathologists and/or consultant obstetricians can refer patients to this service.

Patients with any queries should contact the service on: 01382 632748 or email

NSD contact

NSD Specialist Services

Please note that NSD does not directly provide medical services and we won't be able to answer queries about your own care or appointments. If you would like to discuss any aspects of your care, please contact your primary healthcare provider. This might be your GP, Consultant, Nurse or other healthcare professional. They will be best placed to give you the right advice.