Skip to main content

beta This is a new site, your feedback will help us to improve it.

Mental health service for deaf people

Published on 21 April 2022

The team at St John’s Hospital, Livingston, coordinates outreach clinics across the country to support deaf adults with moderate or severe mental health conditions. The service also provides advice and training for mental health professionals to support people in their local communities.

What specialist mental health support is available for deaf people?

Specialist help is available when communication difficulties complicate the diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders for patients.

The service offers consultancy and liaison around the following:

  • advice on local management of deaf people with moderate or severe mental health problems, which present challenges in assessment and/or treatment across Scotland
  • assessment and/or treatment of patients at request of, or in liaison with, local clinicians on an outreach basis
  • provision of training in deaf awareness and deaf mental health issues for mental health professionals

Patients will be seen on an individual basis for assessment of mental state and diagnosis in complex cases. Specific treatment may be on offer for a given time period. Support for local teams will be given to deliver care directly to patients.

Further information about the service is available on the NHS Lothian website.

Lead clinician

Dr Deborah Innes, Consultant Psychiatrist


NHS Lothian
Mental Health Management Offices
Block 1/2, The Residences
St John's Hospital
Howden Road West
EH54 6PP

Referral process

Referrals can be made in writing and referral forms are available to download from the NHS Lothian website.

Alternatively, you can call or email the team administrator on 01506 523671 or

NSD contact

NSD Specialist Services

Please note that NSD does not directly provide medical services and we won't be able to answer queries about your own care or appointments. If you would like to discuss any aspects of your care, please contact your primary healthcare provider. This might be your GP, Consultant, Nurse or other healthcare professional. They will be best placed to give you the right advice.