Published on 22 April 2021
The Specialist Prosthetics Service is responsible for the assessment, prescription and provision of state-of-the-art (SOTA) prostheses. A single multidisciplinary team based on two sites provides this service. The service locations are West of Scotland Mobility and Rehabilitation Centre (WestMARC) at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow, and the Southeast Mobility and Rehabilitation Technology (SMART) centre at Astley Ainslie Hospital in Edinburgh.
What are specialist prosthetics?
Specialist prosthetics cover a wide range of SOTA devices including, but not limited to:
- microprocessor controlled knees
- microprocessor controlled multi-articulating upper limbs
- specialist foot and ankle joints
- sporting limbs
The service is available to eligible prosthetic limb users resident in Scotland. It covers those who fall into the following:
- armed forces veterans (recent discharges) who have had a SOTA prosthesis fitted by the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre (DMRC), Stanford Hall
- referral for assessment of armed forces amputees whose amputations are a result of service-attributable injuries. They'll also be currently attending a prosthetics centre in Scotland (the Armed Forces Covenant)
- any other prosthetics service user currently resident in Scotland who fulfils the eligibility criteria
John Colvin, Lead Clinician and Clinical Service Manager
West of Scotland Mobility and Rehabilitation Centre (WestMARC)
Queen Elizabeth University Hospital
1345 Govan Road
Southeast Mobility and Rehabilitation Technology (SMART) Centre
Astley Ainslie Hospital
133 Grange Road
Programme Manager, Jennifer Haston – firstname.lastname@example.org – 0131 314 1594
Please note that NSD does not directly provide medical services and we won't be able to answer queries about your own care or appointments. If you would like to discuss any aspects of your care, please contact your primary healthcare provider. This might be your GP, Consultant, Nurse or other healthcare professional. They will be best placed to give you the right advice.