- What is financial crime?
- What is ‘insider threat’?
- The Fraud Ratio
- Unusual behaviour in the workplace
- Risk areas
- What types of threat do organisations experience?
- What does the insider threat look like?
- Privileged users
- Robust recruitment
- Behavioural 'red flags'
- What can you do to protect your organisation?
- Glossary of terms
- References and additional reading
The organisational risk from insiders comes in many guises. The following areas are of particular concern and impact on almost every area of business:
Consider NHS Scotland: it has an annual budget of approximately £13billion; it holds data on everyone registered to live in Scotland; it has a huge number of properties such as its hospitals and medical practices which form the essential infrastructure of the country. Each of these properties has valuable equipment and is stocked with medical supplies which are at risk of theft, to be resold on internet auctions.
This makes the NHS highly vulnerable and an attractive target for those intent on abusing it.